4.28.2008

cupid 911

We had an emergency late tonight. It went something like this:

Austin: Mom, I really need your help.
Me: What's up?
Austin: I thought prom was in three weeks, but it's this Saturday.
Me: Are you planning on asking someone?
Austin: Well, yeah, but I don't know how to do it.
Me: Can you just call her on the phone?
Austin: That's so...you know...boring.

Somewhere, sometime, long, long ago, somebody decided that in order to ask someone to a dance it needed to be more than just a polite question. "Would you like to attend the prom with me?" "Oh, I would be thrilled!" Sounds good to me. It's just too easy, I guess.

We're new at this. Austin only has one "semi-official" date under his belt. So we put our heads together, sat down at the computer, sent Chad to the grocery store for fortune cookies and Panda Express for a take-out box. We replaced one fortune in a cookie with "The Invitation to Prom," filled a take-out box full of the fortune cookies, and within thirty minutes Austin was out the door to deliver his request.



Confucius says boys who are slow to ask girls to prom are fortunate to have a smart cookie for a mom.

5 comments:

Jana said...

Oh - you are a good mom! And what an appropriate FHE activity - at least you had one!

I'm glad to see you on the blog. I was thinking you maybe gave it up and I was missing my 'quest for fame' counter-part.

Life is just too busy!

Welcome back!

Nicole said...

Why did you get ALL the creativity in the family? I guess I can't complain because you've been my 911 help line more than just a few times. Make sure you take pics of this whole event! I want to see him decked for the dance.

Meg said...

Wow! That is SUCH a cute idea. I'll have to store that one away for future use. I love staying up to date with all of you!!!

Stacey said...

Did the girl say yes?

Kelly said...

What a clever idea.